Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups Turbinado sugar
- 2 oz. white rum
- 1½ oz. simple syrup
- 1 oz. lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 mint leaves
- club soda
- lime, sliced
- mint sprig
- In a medium saucepan, combine water and Turbinado sugar and stir to combine. Heat over medium high heat until sugar is dissolved and the mixture has just started to boil. Remove from heat and place in a quart jar with a lid. Allow to cool to room temperature before using.
- In a cocktail shaker, add 3 mint leaves and the simple syrup. Use a muddler or the back of a wooden spoon to muddle the mint leaves and infuse their essential oils into the syrup.
- Add rum and lime juice to the cocktail shaker. Add several ice cubes to the shaker, place the top on and shake vigorously to combine.
- Fill a highball glass with crushed ice. Strain the cocktail mixture into the glass, leaving mint and ice behind. Add a lime slice and top off glass with club soda. Stir to combine with a spoon. Garnish with a fresh mint sprig and serve.
Make the simple syrup ahead and store it covered in your refrigerator. Before garnishing the finished drink with mint sprig, “slap” the sprig on the back of your hand to slightly bruise it and release the aromatics. Your nose will thank you as you enjoy your cocktail!Print Recipe